A mouthguard is an oral appliance that can protect your oral structures, especially if you play contact sports. But mouthguards are not just for athletes. They can also help if you suffer from bruxism, a condition that causes teeth clenching and grinding.
At Dental Aesthetic in Sun City, AZ 85351, we provide customized mouthguards to protect your teeth from damage during sporting activities or from the effects of involuntary grinding.make an appointment
Mouthguards are fabricated using acrylic plastic. They are designed to cover and protect the teeth and gums from injury when you are playing sports or if you grind or clench your teeth. A mouthguard can help preserve your natural teeth and protect you from soft tissue injuries especially if you wear oral appliances like braces.
An ill-fitting mouthguard does not fully protect your teeth and may even fall out while you are playing sports. If you wear an ill-fitted mouthguard for teeth grinding, it can put unwanted pressure on the jaw and teeth. On the other hand, a professionally-made custom mouthguard will properly protect your teeth and rest comfortably in your mouth. They are designed by a dentist based on impressions of your teeth and fit precisely and securely.
Mouthguards for teeth grinding, also known as nightguards, are customized to fit your unique oral structures. They are designed to prevent teeth grinding or clenching and are worn at night.
Nightguards prevent enamel wear and tooth chipping and cracking. They also take pressure off the jaw and teeth. Additionally, wearing a nightguard helps keep the jaw in a more comfortable and natural position.
Getting a custom-made mouthguard takes two visits to our dental office. Dr. AL Ahmad will first take dental impressions to design your mouthguard and ensure it fits you perfectly and comfortably. These impressions are then sent to our dental lab.
It generally takes about two weeks for the mouthguard to be fabricated and returned to our office. Once it is ready, we will fit your mouthguard and make any minor adjustments if needed.
- Gently scrub the mouthguard after every use with a soft brush and toothpaste.
- Keep your mouthguard in a protective container when you are not using it.
- Do not keep your mouthguard in the sun or hot water as it may melt or change shape.
- Replace your mouthguard at the start of a new sports season.
- Replace your mouthguard if it has become worn and no longer fits correctly.
- Avoid wearing a mouthguard with a retainer. If you wear braces, we will help design a mouthguard to protect your teeth and braces.
- Do not chew or cut food pieces with your mouthguard.
- Bring your mouthguard to every checkup so that it can be examined to make sure it is in good shape.
At Dental Aesthetic, we offer custom-made mouthguards that offer protection against the effects of teeth grinding and prevent sports injuries. To get your customized mouthguard, schedule an appointment with Dr. AL Ahmad by calling (623) 300-5432.